- Slowly pull the foot up into a retire position (feel your inner thighs working!)
- Make sure to keep the foot flexed if you have any issues at the back of the ankle (i.e. Achilles Tendinopathy or Os Trigonum Pain)
- Make sure that the hips stay square, and don’t hitch or twist!
- Slowly unfold the leg as for a développé working on controlling the turnout from the hip, and lengthening the leg.
- Focus on not cheating height by tucking the pelvis in this position, but focus instead on correct placement of the leg
- Slowly lower the leg back to the wall, making sure you use your abdominals so that your back doesn’t arch!
Ballet Tip: How To Get Your Legs Higher with a Développé.
Rae Abigael J. Caacbay is a ballerina, visual artist, and a BS Interior Design graduate based in the Philippines. She went through a quarter life crisis by the end of 2016 and though she's lost in the middle of fulfilling her dreams, she still keeps on moving forward anyway. Most of her work focuses on interior design, writing/marketing, and painting.
Hello! I'm Rae. A ballet dancer who's pursuing a career in Interior Design. Join me as I conquer the earth (in my pointes and tutu) to find dreams and memories lost at sea, while I munch on marshmallows.